Saturday, April 5, 2014

Spring, Eagle, East

Years ago I learned from my spiritual teacher, Grandfather Wallace Black Elk, about correspondences between the seasons, the direction and the animal who guards that season and direction. East is the direction we face in the Spring, with Eagle flying guard. There are other correspondences like the color yellow, the time of rebirth, and the time of youth. This drawing of an eagle feather was done in 1985, and it was the inspiration that called me back to drawing at the beginning of this year.
©Kathleen O'Brien, Helpers, drawing, 17x14"
There is something so soothing about rendering beloved objects as observed, and also laying out the design from imagination. This was done on smooth Bristol paper that allows for subtle shading. I think this might have been the first time I drew cascading ribbons, symbolic of descending energy, that appears in almost everything I draw now. That rainbow has stuck with me all this time, and long before. Do you recognize the artists who I like to imagine looking over my shoulder?

This will be in the exhibit Birds of a Feather, NFS - I framed this one for myself, but want to share it for the merry month of May with you at Rezny Gallery.

2 comments:

Laverne said...

I'm looking forward to seeing it. Hopefully I will be at the reception! Thanks

Kathleen O'Brien said...

oh, great, Laverne, it's been too long, I look forward to seeing you