Sunday, April 27, 2014

Guest Post, Leslie Patterson-Marx, monoprints

Hello! My name is Lesley Patterson-Marx and I am happy to be a guest blogger for Kathleen O’Brien, with whom I am showing work in our upcoming exhibition at MS Rezny Studio/Gallery. Don’t miss our opening reception on May 9 from 4-7 pm. On May 10, I will be at the gallery from 12:30-3 with my small printmaking press, ready to demonstrate for you a printmaking process called “monoprint”. You will have the chance to make your own monoprint that day, and bring it back to draw on with Kathleen on May 17 or 24. Please stop by and try this simple process which yields beautiful results!

A monoprint is a single impression of a painted image or texture made from a repeatable matrix. Rather than printing multiple identical copies of an image, each monoprint impression is unique. At MS Rezny 
Studio/Gallery, I will be demonstrating the process applying printing ink to a flat surface and transferring it to paper. 
©Leslie Patterson-Marx
Step 1: In this image, you see that the roller is applying ink to the surface of a plastic plant that I found on one of my daily walks. It is also possible to make a monoprint impression of a real plant! Bring one of your own in to try if you like. The only rule is that it should be fairly flat.
©Leslie Patterson-Marx
Step 2: Once the texture has been rolled with ink, place it inky side down onto printmaking paper. The paper is now on top of the press bed. Cover with protective paper to protect the press blankets. In this case, I’m using newsprint. Fold the blankets down, turn the wheel and roll it through!
©Leslie Patterson-Marx
Step 3: Lift up the press blankets and unfold the protective paper to reveal your image!

I hope that you will stop by MS Rezny Studio/Gallery on May 10 to make a monoprint! Feel free to bring any small plants, lace, or other textures that you would like to try printing. I will have textures available, as well as all other supplies. This event, as well as Kathleen’s drawing sessions, are free of charge, but donations will be accepted. See you soon!

No comments: