Thursday, August 15, 2013

Jim O'Brien, great architect

I am so proud of my brother, the architect of many beautiful churches & schools.  I especially get a thrill out of reading about the architects introduced the three Vetruvian attributes of their art: Firmitas (structure), Utilitas (function) and Venustas (delight) when they convened at their alma mater, University of Virginia.

My brother, Jim O'Brien  initiated me into the knowledge of the Golden Mean long ago. He showed me how to draw and calculate the spiral and rectangle.
Jim O'Brien, far right with other UVA alumni
 I stayed up until 2 am doing the math for the proportions up to 100, in fractions and decimals. I started doing all my canvases, and even my house design in the golden proportion. To this day I reference that tattered sheet when I draw rectangles.

We are looking forward to going to the decication of St. Catherine of Siena Catholic Church.

No comments: