Thursday, February 28, 2013

Dali Museum - a video

Dali was an early influence for me. It's not that I like all his images, it is the absolute mastery of his painting and his courage to paint from his inner life. Years ago I was astounded to see so many of his paintings at the Dali Museum in St. Petersburg, Florida. Then it was a rather plain rectangular building. Recently I visited the NEW museum. What a marvel it is, located on Tampa Bay.
As you will hear in this video, it is so loud. And don't make the mistake we made by going on Thursdays 5-8 pm when the entry is only $10, compared to the usual $22. Everyone had the same idea. I have never seen so many people at a museum and it was difficult to get close to his paintings. But when I did, tears came to my eyes experiencing his brushstrokes. And his huge masterpieces held me spellbound with the stories they tell.

No comments: